In line with most other schools here at Park we are obliged to follow the government’s National Curriculum for Mathematics 2014.
(Further details here)
Our aim is for every child to be secure in the different areas of mathematics before they leave us.
In addition to our daily maths lessons, each class from Y1 – Y6 has three 20 minute “mini maths” sessions a week. The children are split into smaller group sizes and focus on number bonds and times tables according to their need. Expectations for the end of each year group are as follows:
- Y1 – Count in multiples of 2, 5 and 10
- Y2 – Recall and use multiplication and division facts for the 2, 5 and 10 multiplication tables
- Y3 – Recall and use multiplication and division facts for the 3, 4 and 8 multiplication tables
- Y4 – Recall multiplication and division facts for all multiplication tables up to 12 × 12
- Y5&Y6 – Use their knowledge of multiplication and division facts to multiply and divide decimals and multiples of 10 (e.g.0.7 x ? = 4.2; ? ÷ 6 = 0.9, ? x 80 = 7200)
Children are asked to practise their times tables every week until they are fluent. This means they have speedy recall both multiplication and division facts (out of order)!
Our school has recently bought into the “Mathletics” programme which allows our children to practise key maths skills both in school and at home. The programme can be accessed on laptops and tablets as well as on home PCs so, if you have internet access at home, please encourage your child to play and learn at the same time.
All pupils receive a login account to enable them to sign into the Mathletics website/app.